Friday, November 14, 2014

317/365-2 Holding On To Memories


"Making Memories of Pumpkin Bread"

At this time of year my mom always used to make pumpkin bread, a favorite treat of mine.  When I got married (the first time) she copied by hand many of my favorite recipes from my childhood (and of few of her favorites that have never made it on to my favorites list).  For many years, I pulled the card for the pumpkin bread straight out of the box and used it as it was, unprotected from the drips of pumpkin, vanilla and who knows what other ingredients.  In my youth, I had no idea how much I would later value having these recipes written and preserved by my mother's hand.  I still make this recipe many times a year, but the recipe card is now protected by a plastic sleeve.  I have also typed and saved the recipe on my computer, but for some reason, the pumpkin bread just doesn't taste right if it is not made by reading from the stained and smudged blue index card.

No comments: