Tuesday, January 1, 2013

1/365 Purpose


"Purpose"

We still receive an actual newspaper at our house.  Mornings just wouldn't seem right without that trek down the from sidewalk to gather up the Dallas Morning News before sitting down at the table with a cup of coffee and a bowl of yogurt or oatmeal.  Reading the paper before heading to school in the mornings gives us at least a sense of what is going on in the world before we walk head-on out into it.  And on days when I am not up to facing the ugliness of life around me, I ignore the headlines and listen as Weber reads me the comics.

In this morning's edition of Dear Abby (Yes, I read Dear Abby almost every day.), rather than responding to the dilemmas of specific readers, "Abby" offers two pieces of advice that speak to all of as we begin the new year.  The first is from the credo of Al-Anon and the second is from the prayer attributed to St. Francis.  The entire article can be found here.

As a Franciscan tertiary, this prayer attributed to St. Francis speaks to me at a deep level, despite the fact that it is often over- and mis-used.  It describes the person that I so desire to be.  So today, a day on which we find ourselves determined to make this a good year by committing to promises and resolutions, what better way to remind myself that I do strive to be an instrument of peace and a sower of love, pardon, hope, faith, light and joy than for these words to be my  first image of Capture Your 365, the 2013 edition.

No comments: